What’s not to love about chai-infused vegan french toast adorned with edible flowers? Add this recipe to your weekend brunch menu, stat.
Since my husfriend and I committed to eating vegan at home, we’ve had to get a bit more creative with our usual recipes; one of which was the cosy culinary classic conveniently and continuously enjoyed in our Parisian pad: French Toast.
French Toast has been our go-to for a slightly stale bread (or croissants / pain au chocolates) for as long as I’ve lived in France and was a childhood favourite for both of us before that, so it quickly became sorely missed when we made the shift to eating more sustainably.
Luckily, earlier this year my husfriend found an article talking about how chia seeds can replace eggs in most baking. Inspired by this newfound hope, I thought I’d give our age old recipe a simple make over, infusing and enjoying it with Numi’s Golden Chai for a little added culinary joy.
- 1 Numi Golden Chai tea bag
- 1.5 cups rice milk (or any non-dairy milk)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or agave syrup)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Some thick cut vegan day-old bread
- 1 tsp of coconut oil
- Heat the rice milk in a pot on the stove at medium heat, placing the Numi Golden Chai teabag inside so it infuses with the milk
- Once it has infused let the mixture cool before adding in the chia seeds, cinnamon, vanilla and maple syrup.
- Place in the fridge for 30+ minutes so the chia seeds begin to activate and expand.
- Preheat the stovetop to a medium heat and grease with coconut oil
- Take the mixture out of the fridge and soak the bread
- Cook the soaked bread on both sides until golden brown in toasty goodness
- Top with seasonal fruit or seasonal edible flowers and maple syrup.