This play on the spicy-sweet flavor of Mexican hot chocolate uses Numi’s delicious and nutritious organic, Fair Trade Certified Turmeric Cocoa for added richness and health benefits.
Traditionally, Mexican chocolate is flavored with native spices to mellow the natural bitterness of cacao. Early American colonists made a similarly spiced beverage, mixing finely grated cacao with water for a delicious, Turmeric Hot Cocoa afternoon pick-me-up. (You can still sample an early American chocolate recipe at Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia!)
Enjoy on a chilly afternoon or make it as a non-traditional dessert!
- 16 oz. almond milk
- 1 tbsp. Numi Turmeric Cocoa
- 1 tbsp. fair trade cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 2½ tbsp. sugar
- Dash of cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Dairy, non-day or vegan whipped cream
- In small sauce pan, heat 16 ounces almond milk on medium high heat.
- Stir in turmeric cocoa, cocoa powder, sugar, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper and continue to heat until desired temperature is achieved. Do not allow mixture to boil.
- Pour mixture into two 8 ounce mugs or one 16 ounce mug.
- Top with whipped cream and a sprinkling of cinnamon.