Making truffles from scratch can be time-consuming and sometimes daunting. We love the simplicity of this Chai Tea Turtle Truffle recipe, and the resulting flavor that’s deliciously complex.
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 Numi Organic Rooibos Chai Tea bags
- 1 11-oz bag milk chocolate chips (we used Equal Exchange Organic Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips -- also delicious!)
- ⅓ cup refrigerated caramel dip
- 1¼ cup toasted nuts (pecans, almonds, walnuts, etc.), finely chopped
- Heat cream in microwave for 1 minute. Add tea bags and let steep 2-3 minutes. Remove bags and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Place the chocolate in a microwavable dish.
- Microwave for 1 minute and stir with a spoon. Keep microwaving and stirring every 30 seconds until chocolate can be completely stirred and is melted. Mix in the chai cream and microwave another 30 seconds.
- Add the refrigerated caramel dip to the chocolate mixture. Stir until smooth and combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Using a teaspoon, remove and form 1 inch balls of the chocolate mixture. Roll with hands like a snow ball. Then roll in pecans. Place on wax paper.
- Truffles can be placed in paper / foil candy cups. Chill until ready to serve.
* * * * *
DONNA-MARIE RYAN is a retired biology teacher of 35 years. She started cooking at an early age, and mostly remembers helping her mom can and freeze food from their magnificent garden. She started contesting in 2006 by coincidence when encouraging a friend’s daughter to enter, and won her first recipe contest with a single entry. Since then she has won many contests, large and small, meeting some great ladies in the process. The creative side of contesting is most important to Donna-Marie. Thinking about recipe combinations uses both her scientific background and satisfies her need for creativity. Donna-Marie and her late husband have two lovely daughters. Her legacy to them will be her recipe collection. See more of Donna-Marie’s recipes on her Facebook group, Kitchen Wonderings.