The renaissance Indian food is having in San Francisco has inspired me to explore the enticing flavors of Indian cuisine. Lassi is a traditional yogurt or buttermilk based beverage that can be sweet or savory. Turmeric is an essential ingredient throughout India. I re-interpreted these two elements in a refreshing drink that is taste-bud-tickling delicious and healthy. Grilling your pineapple naturally deepens its flavor and adds a layer of caramelized goodness. Feel free to adjust the consistency of your lassi to taste by adding more or less water.
- For the grilled pineapple:
- 1 whole medium ripe pineapple
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Ground cinnamon
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- For the lassi:
- 1 cup grilled pineapple
- 1 ripe Ataulfo mango (approx. ½ cup diced mango)
- ½ cup plain unsweetened Greek yogurt
- ½ cup water
- 1 heaping teaspoon Numi Turmeric Chai or Turmeric Cocoa Golden Latte Mix™
- Prepare the pineapple. Remove the peel, cut in quarters lengthwise and remove the woody core. Cut each quarter in small chunks. In a bowl, sprinkle pineapple chunks with cinnamon and nutmeg, add maple syrup, cover and let macerate in the fridge for at least 1 hour. The seasonings will make a ripe pineapple even juicier!
- Assemble pineapple chunks on skewers and grill until golden and beautifully caramelized on a preheated griddle pan or barbecue grill. Let cool before using.
- Blend all ingredients together. Use Turmeric Cocoa for a sweeter, richer taste. Use Turmeric Chai for a brighter, spicier lassi with a pleasantly tart note.
- Serve immediately over ice (if desired). Grate some nutmeg on top and garnish with a chunk of grilled pineapple on a small skewer. Enjoy!
If you enjoyed this recipe, you will also love our Hibiscus Watermelon Agua Fresca or Tropical Coconut Smoothie Bowl.