Turmeric is known for its amazing anti-inflammatory benefits, and when it’s paired with a bowl full of other healing foods it’s the ultimate feel-good ingredient if your digestive tract needs a little TLC. Enjoy this warming and healthy meal anytime, but I especially like to prepare it if I’ve recently worked my digestive system a bit too hard with too much fried or processed food.
Tea-infused grain might seem like a funny idea, but I love throwing a tea bag into my rice, quinoa or oats when I cook them. The subtle scent and flavor adds interest to an otherwise-bland ingredient and cuts down on the amount of salt that I use to season rice and quinoa.
How to make your own healing turmeric bowl:
- Turmeric tea infused quinoa
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 turmeric tea bag (we recommend Fields of Gold or Three Roots)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder (optional)
- Sweet onion sauce
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 2 tb coconut milk (or other milk product)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Additional ingredients
- -sauteed baby bok choy (or substitute another dark leafy green)
- -ripe avocado chunks
- -spiralized and steamed butternut squash
- -raw walnuts
- In a small saucepan, add quinoa, water, and turmeric tea bag. Bring to a boil, then cook, covered, on medium heat until tender. Remove the tea bag after 2 minutes.
- Chop onion and sauté in oil until very soft and translucent. Place in a food processor with all other ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Build your bowl by placing the quinoa and vegetables in a large bowl, then topping with onion sauce and nuts. Enjoy!
If you like using tea to flavor your entrees, we think you’d also enjoy Easy Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup) or Pu-Erh Tea and Gruyere Risotto.