Top your toast with homemade chocolate hazelnut spread — vegan and palm oil-free!
I’m the daughter of two Brits and thus, despite being Canadian, tea and toast has been part of my daily routine for as long as I can remember. I never thought much about what I spread on it.
Last year I embarked on writing (or attempting to write) a 365-day series on going green to teach myself the eco and ethical issues of each and every product I use and habit I have. Amongst the many issues with the ingredients in my beauty products and food was palm oil, an ingredient which causes widespread rain forest destruction, human rights abuses, illegal wildlife smuggling, climate change and is devastating for biodiversity. It is also an ingredient which is hidden in just about every conventional product we know.
My husfriend is American, he grew up on all the classic American foods, one of which was Nutella®, which is made up of palm oil, skimmed milk and whey powder, cocoa, hazelnuts, sugar, soy lecithin and artificial vanilla flavourings. It was a staple for him as a kid and to this day he loves nothing more than a bit of Nutella on toast. As we’re trying to live our life as green as can be, we’re keeping palm oil, even palm oil claimed to have been collected sustainably, out of our home and mouths. So to keep the childhood favourites in the cupboard and aligned with our morals, we’ve started developing new recipes, one of which is this lovely vegan, palm-oil free recipe.
- 1 cup of raw hazelnuts
- 4 tbsp of fair trade organic raw cacao powder
- 6 tbsp of maple syrup
- 2 tbsp of agave syrup
- ¼ cup of hazelnut milk
- Warm up the oven to 170 degrees celsius
- Bake the hazelnuts for 10-20 minutes
- Roll the hazelnuts between your fingers to remove the skins
- Place the hazelnuts in water to soak for 30-45 minutes
- Drain the hazelnuts and put them in the blender with the rest of the ingredients, slowly adding the hazelnut milk as you go. You may need a little more or want a little less, depending on your blender’s abilities and consistency preferences.
- Make some toast and spread the mixture on it
- Add a few bits of fruit and some crushed cashews and enjoy along with a cup of Numi’s Chocolate Pu-erh Tea