In French, ‘parfait’ means perfect, which makes it the ideal name for this dessert: it’s perfectly pleasant to make and perfectly delicious to eat. Traditionally, here in France anyway, parfaits are made from sugar syrup, egg and cream and are served as a delectable pureed cake. In the U.S. however, this traditional desert has taken on a whole new twist, with layered deliciousness filling up Pinterest in sweet jars and cups around the globe; from healthy, raw, vegan breakfasts to the most delightfully gluttonous desserts.
For this recipe, I went somewhere in the middle, combining a matcha chia mix I created with a homemade vegan chocolate mousse recipe I found on Pinterest by a blogger who goes by Vanilla Crunnch. I combined the two delicious bits with some vegan vanilla yogurt to create a healthy, but luxurious dessert.
You can adjust this recipe more breakfast-y by adding in some granola instead of cookie crumbs and forgoing the chocolate mousse.
- Chia Matcha
- • ¼ cup chia seeds
- • 1½ cups non-dairy milk (I used ½ rice milk and ½ water)
- • ½ tbsp agave syrup or maple syrup
- • 2 tsp Numi Ceremonial Matcha Powder
- Vegan Mousse
- • 1 400g can of chickpeas (you will only be using the liquid in this recipe -- save the chickpeas for another use!)
- • 1 cup of roughly chopped dark chocolate
- • 2 tbsp of maple syrup or agave syrup
- Vanilla Yogurt
- Forager Project Creamy Dairy-free Vanilla Bean Cashewgurt (or any vanilla yogurt / fauxgurt)
- To Decorate
- • 1 Banana
- • 2 Chopped / shredded almonds
- • Olive tree leaves (or any leaves, just wash before you put them in the cup!)
- • Cookie crumbles from Leah Wise’s Rooibos Chai Shortbread Recipe (which is one of my favorite quick cookie recipes to make!)
- The Chia Matcha
- Make your chia matcha mixture by combining the chia seeds, nut milk and maple syrup and Numi Ceremonial Matcha Powder in a cup or jar and putting it in the fridge overnight. You need to stir this well so the matcha doesn’t clump!
- The Vegan Pudding
- Follow the recipe for the vegan chocolate mousse on Vanilla Crunnch here.
- The Parfait
- Layer the chocolate pudding into the cup with the matcha chia mixture on top. Then top with vegan vanilla yogurt.
- Place the olive tree leaves with the banana and sprinkle almonds and shortbread on top. I meant to do a layer of cookie crumbles at the bottom of the cup but forgot and then ate the cookies by dipping them in, but a cookie layer would look excellent as well!
For more delicious matcha-based desserts, try our Creamy Matcha Shaved Ice or Matcha Overnight Oats Three Ways.