What gives this beautiful, antioxidant-rich pink tea latte its vibrant hue?
When days get shorter and sunlight scarcer, I crave something warm and indulgent. If you’re like me, I have a delicious solution for you. Its color alone is going to put you in an instant good mood! We’ve seen lattes in the colors of the rainbow but have you tried the pink latte? Pink seems to be the new black and it’s definitely become a color for all seasons, from the ubiquitous millennial pink (we’ve seen it everywhere from fashion to interior design, from product design to food) to the newly discovered naturally pink chocolate. Pink is here to stay, even in the fall.
So what is the secret ingredient providing this vibrant color, you may ask? Beets! This anti-inflammatory and antioxidant-rich veggie is the perfect ingredient to add to your tea latte for a soothing autumn drink.
For my pink latte, I combined beetroot, a seasonal vegetable full of vitamins and minerals, with rich and malty pu-erh tea blended with cacao nibs, vanilla bean and spices. A touch of tahini (toasted sesame seed paste) makes this pink latte velvety smooth and accentuates the subtle earthy notes of both tea and beetroot, which is naturally sweet, so you probably won’t need any added sweetener. I find that oat milk perfectly complements this flavor combination, but feel free to experiment with your dairy or plant-based milk of choice.
- ¾ cup boiling water
- 2 Numi Chocolate Pu-erh tea bags
- ½ small organic beetroot (steamed, peeled and diced)
- 1 ½ cup unsweetened oat milk, divided
- ½ teaspoon tahini
- Steep the Chocolate Pu-erh in ¾ cup boiling water for 15 minutes, covered. Remove and discard tea sachets. This will result in a tea concentrate, the base for your pink latte.
- Puree the beetroot with ¾ cup oat milk, strain through a fine mesh sieve. You won’t need the beetroot pulp for this recipe, but you can set it aside (store it in the fridge) to add to your oatmeal or morning smoothie.
- Combine the beetroot and milk liquid mixture with the tea concentrate. Add ½ teaspoon tahini, blend with an immersion blender until smooth and frothy. Pour into a serving cup and top with remaining ¾ cup oat milk, foamed.
- Sweeten to taste, if necessary. Enjoy!
If you love tea latte creations, this Vegan Almond Joy Latte or Mint-Infused Matcha Latte are the perfect treats to make next.