WITH GREEK YOGURT & CANDIED MEYER LEMONS
This luxurious breakfast bowl takes a minute to assemble and will make you want to jump out of bed every morning! I love how flavorful the Rooibos Chai is and how well all the spices lend themselves to the preparation of this crunchy granola. The candied Meyer lemons are the chic element that bring it all together. They are not as sour as lemons but taste more like mandarins. I added a touch of grains of paradise, a spice from the same family as ginger, for a little heat and playful, unexpectedly lingering floral notes.
Follow the recipes below to make Rooibos Chai granola and candied Meyer lemons. Assemble by combining Greek yogurt with Meyer lemon syrup and vanilla extract to taste. Mix thoroughly and top with Rooibos Chai granola, candied Meyer lemon chunks and more lemon syrup if needed.
- 3⅓ cup organic old fashioned rolled oats
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons organic sunflower oil (or any flavorless vegetable oil)
- 2 tablespoons Numi loose-leaf Rooibos Chai tea
- ½ cup raw walnuts halves and pieces
- ½ cup raw pecans pieces
- ½ cup raw almonds
- Grind Rooibos Chai tea to a fine powder in a mortar and pestle. Sift in a large bowl with oats. Do not discard the coarser pieces of tea and spices but mix them with oil and gently heat in a double boiler for 10 minutes, keeping an eye on it to prevent oil from boiling. Turn off heat and infuse for 10 more minutes, covered. Strain if desired.
- Roughly chop almonds with a knife, add to oats along with walnuts and pecans. Combine oil and maple syrup, then pour onto oats and nuts. Mix thoroughly.
- Spread onto a baking sheet in an even layer. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 300 F for 10 more minutes until golden. Let cool completely on baking sheet, then break into chunks and store in an airtight container until ready to assemble.
- ¾ lb Meyer lemons (about 4)
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon grains of paradise, finely ground
- Wash and scrub Meyer lemons under running water. Preferably use un-waxed and organic. In a small saucepan, cover lemons with cold water and bring to a boil. Drain. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil again. Drain and set aside.
- Combine 1 cup water, finely ground grains of paradise and sugar, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Pass through a sieve to remove coarser pieces of grains of paradise.
- Cut the Meyer lemons in chunks and remove seeds. Reserve juice. Combine Meyer lemon chunks and juice with the sugar syrup and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand (covered) at room temperature for 8 hours or overnight.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes. Let cool completely and store in a glass jar or mason jar in the fridge.