Move over, London Fog latte! The famous Earl Grey-based latte is undeniably delicious, but in the San Francisco Bay Area, where Numi Organic Tea is headquartered, we have our very own fog that’s so well-known it has a name — Karl. It comes from the ocean and rolls in over the hills, silent and thick like a blanket. From high up, it’s fun to watch, it looks like water flowing in silky waves over the city. It’s so mesmerizing, it inspired me to create this irresistible tea latte.
The frothy layer of milk on top is the fog. Underneath, Mate Lemon, an invigorating blend of yerba mate, lemon myrtle and green tea, reminds me of the fragrant eucalyptus groves and of the ubiquitous citrus trees that, no matter the fog and chilly temperatures, are always thriving. The other ingredients, almond milk and juicy dates, are a tribute to California. Expect a vibrant tea latte with bright citrus notes, a beautiful, creamy texture and natural sweetness (thank you, dates!) for the most perfect, comforting pick-me-up.
Get ready for some serious San Francisco vibes. Cable cars and Golden Gate bridge not included. 😉
- 1 cup water
- 3 Mate Lemon tea bags
- ½ cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 2-inch strip of lemon peel (organic, avoid the bitter white pith)
- 1 small date, pitted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or a small piece of vanilla bean
- Steep 3 Mate Lemon tea bags in 1 cup boiling water for 8 minutes. This will yield a tea concentrate. Discard the tea bags and set tea aside.
- Separately, heat the almond milk with a strip of lemon peel on low heat until hot but not boiling. If you are using the vanilla bean instead of the extract, add it in now, after scraping the seeds into the milk. Turn off the heat and infuse, covered, for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, strain almond milk and discard lemon peel and vanilla pod.
- Combine tea concentrate and milk, then gently reheat. Turn off the heat. Using an immersion blender, blend on high speed with 1 small date or more to taste. If you are using vanilla extract, add it in now. Blend until beautifully smooth and frothy.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Loving this recipe? Pin it for later!