Get ready to seriously impress your brunch guests with these summery tropical fruit French toasts! Substituting coconut milk for regular milk gives traditional French toast an exotic hint of coconut flavor that pairs well with ripe, sweet mango and tart citrus.
- 1 small loaf of bread
- 6 eggs
- 1 /4 cups coconut milk (full fat)
- 1 Tb vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1 16 oz package of cream cheese
- 2-4 Tb honey
- 2 mangos
- ½ cantaloupe
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- Basil or mint to garnish
- Coconut oil or butter for frying
- To make the French toast:
- Begin with a loaf of bread- any will do, but my favorites are brioche or sourdough. Mix well eggs, 1½ cup coconut milk (reserving ¼ cup for spread), vanilla and salt. Slice bread. Soak both sides liberally in egg mixture, then pan-fry on low heat in butter or coconut oil, flipping to cook both sides evenly.
To make the spread:
- Mix cream cheese and ½ cup coconut milk until fluffy and light. Drizzle in honey to taste.
To make fruit “flowers”:
- Slice mango/melon thinly, spread into a long line and roll into a circle. Use this helpful visual tutorial to get an idea of how It’s done.
To make candied citrus:
- Mix 1 cup water and a heaping 1 cup of sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Add citrus slices and reduce heat. Cook until slices become almost translucent, 10-15 minutes. Remove slices and let them cool on a wire rack or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- To assemble, top French toast with cream cheese spread and arrange fruit on top!
If you liked this post, check out our Chai-Infused French Toast or Tea and Toast: Sweet Potato Edition for more scrumptious tea and toast pairings.